What are voice disorders?

Voice disorders are conditions that cause abnormal and spontaneous changes in the voice. Laryngitis, vocal nodules, contact ulcers, and vocal polyps are common examples of disorders that can affect the voice. All of these conditions impact the vocal chords (folds of tissue located in the larynx that are responsible for producing the voice). Voice disorders can be caused by infections, inhaled irritants, cancer, or vocal strain from a lot of speaking and yelling.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

What increases my risk for voice disorders?
Jonathan Aviv, MDJonathan Aviv, MD
Aside from using your voice incorrectly, smoking and what you eat are the most common causes of hoar...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with catarrh?
Catarrh can cause discomfort, so help someone with catarrh to remember to take their decongestants a...
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?