What are voice disorders?

Voice disorders are conditions that cause abnormal and spontaneous changes in the voice. Laryngitis, vocal nodules, contact ulcers, and vocal polyps are common examples of disorders that can affect the voice. All of these conditions impact the vocal chords (folds of tissue located in the larynx that are responsible for producing the voice). Voice disorders can be caused by infections, inhaled irritants, cancer, or vocal strain from a lot of speaking and yelling.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

What are singer’s nodes?
Kenneth Altman, MDKenneth Altman, MD
Singer’s nodes or nodules are similar to calluses on the vocal cords. When you speak or sing (“phona...
What increases my risk for stuttering?
Having a parent or family member who stutters increases the likelihood that you or your child will s...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?