What illnesses does ascorbic acid treat?

Ascorbic acid or vitamin C is used to treat an illness called scurvy. This condition, caused by inadequate vitamin C in the diet, is most common in older, malnourished adults. It is rare in the United States because good sources of vitamin C, fresh fruits and vegitables are plentiful here. Symptoms of scurvy include general weakness, anemia and gingivitis (gum disease). Sometimes people with scurvy can have skin hemorrhages (bleeding) and bone or tooth abnormalities.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Calcium and Vitamin D: How Much Is Enough?
All of us want to prevent osteoporosis, but how? More milk? More calcium? More vitamin D? Supplements?  Recent research has brought up questions abou...
What are the water-soluble vitamins?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
The following are water-soluble vitamins:B vitamins:Biotin (vitamin B7)Folic acid (folate, vitamin B...
7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need
7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need
Hit the kitchen before you head to the pharmacy—you can get nearly all your essential vitamins and minerals from food. Nearly 68 percent of Americans ...
If I Could Only Have One Vitamin, Which One Should I Take?