Which vitamins help combat the winter blues?

There is some evidence that vitamin D may help some people combat the winter blues, which scientists call seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Some studies find that people with SAD are more likely to have low levels of vitamin D than the general population, and a few studies have found a benefit from vitamin D supplementation. But other studies have found no antidepressant effect. Vitamin D is an important vitamin, however. Making sure you are getting enough vitamin D is a good idea for your health in any case.

Vitamins can in fact help boost your mood and combat many of the emotions that we're all too familiar with during the holidays. Try some asparagus to get a dose of folic acid, which has been shown to fight sadness, or citrus fruits to get vitamin C that is thought to ward off stress. Even better, pop a few brazil nuts to get more than your daily dose of selenium, which can help prevent anxiety. Another powerful mood-boosting holiday food is salmon, which is rich in vitamin D that boosts levels of serotonin, a key neurotransmitter affecting our moods. Oily fish will also deliver omega-3 fatty acids which help the brain cope with depression. Finally, try some warm oatmeal in the morning for breakfast or as a snack throughout the day. It is rich in soluble fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and can reduce irritability and crankiness.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

The FDA Warns That Biotin May Mask Test Results
In the 1994 Jim Carrey film, The Mask, timid bank clerk Stanley Ipkiss discovers a magical mask, which transforms him into a manic, confident (and gre...
What vitamins can I take to boost my metabolism?
There are no individual vitamins that will boost your metabolism and help you to lose weight sim...
Are there tests to determine if I need to take vitamins?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Yes, there are, and if you think you have symptoms of vitamin deficiency such as iron or vitamin D, ...
3 Vitamins Worth Taking
3 Vitamins Worth Taking