How are fat-soluble vitamins stored in the body?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Fatty foods and oils are reservoirs for the four fat-soluble vitamins. Within your body, fat tissues and the liver act as the main holding pens for these vitamins and release them as needed. To some extent, you can think of these vitamins as time-release micronutrients. It's possible to consume them every now and again, perhaps in doses weeks or months apart rather than daily, and still get your fill. Your body squirrels away the excess and doles it out gradually to meet your needs. Because these vitamins are stored for long periods, however, toxic levels can build up. This is most likely to happen if you take supplements. It's very rare to get too much of a vitamin just from food.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

The Importance of Vitamin A
The Importance of Vitamin A
Maybe you could use a little help learning about vitamin A. This fat-soluble vitamin is actually a group of compounds tha...
Can vitamins or supplements prevent retinal tears?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
Although vitamins are useful for some eye diseases such as macular degeneration, there is no evidenc...
Can I take too many vitamins?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Even good things can be bad in excess. In this video, I will discuss the risks that come with taking...
Take Your Vitamin D at This Time
Take Your Vitamin D at This Time