Did the SELECT study show that vitamin E causes prostate cancer?

Dr. Dwight L. McKee, MD
Hematologist & Oncologist

A large study sponsored by the US government, known as the SELECT (Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial) study, may have given some people the impression that vitamin E supplements cause prostate cancer. But that is far from proven. In the study, men who took very large doses of a form of vitamin E called dl-alpha-tocopherol-acetate had a slightly increased risk for developing prostate cancer. But that doesn't necessarily mean vitamin E supplements are bad for you.

Like all nutrients, vitamin E works in a complex network with other nutrients. If you eat a lousy diet that's full of processed foods and low in fruit, vegetables and other good stuff, large doses of vitamins are unlikely to be of any benefit and might even cause some harm. Meanwhile, small doses of a form of vitamin E called d-alpha-tocopherol succinate have been linked to a low risk for prostate cancer. Clearly, we still have much to learn about vitamin E and its relationship with prostate cancer.

If you take vitamin E supplements for any reason, tell your doctor. If you aren't sure which form of vitamin E you take, bring the container to your doctor or pharmacist and ask.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
Why do I need vitamin E?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Your body needs vitamin E to boost its immune system so it can fight off invading bacteria and virus...
What foods are good sources of vitamin E?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Vitamin E is found in foods such as almonds, sunflower seeds, avocados, vegetable juices,whole grain...
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?