What are the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

If you don't get enough sunlight, you will be vitamin D-deficient. You should have your blood levels checked by your physician. Anyone who lives north of Atlanta, Georgia, suffers the highest risk of vitamin D deficiency.
Signs of vitamin D deficiency differ in children and adults. Vitamin D helps the body absorb the mineral calcium, and together with calcium, it helps to build strong, healthy bones. So it's not surprising that too little vitamin D can cause bone problems.

In children, a deficiency in vitamin D can cause rickets, a disease in which the bones don't mineralize normally, leaving them soft. Rickets can also cause skeletal deformities such as knock-knees or bowlegs. Infants with the disorder may be delayed in crawling and sitting. In adults, vitamin D deficiency may increase risk for osteoporosis, in which bones get less dense and more fragile, or osteomalacia, in which bones soften.

Muscle aches, weakness and bone pain can occur in people of all ages who have vitamin D deficiency. Elderly people who do not get enough vitamin D may be particularly prone to falls and broken bones. Ask your doctor for more information about vitamin D.
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Vitamin D deficiency symptoms can include fatigue, low energy, decreased immunity, depression, muscle weakness, cramps, or altered sensation. These potential symptoms may be subtle. The best-known symptom of vitamin D deficiency is greater risk of bone fractures -- but, again, this may not be obvious.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

3 Reasons You Need More Vitamin D in Your Diet
Tiger Woods won it in 2000, 2002 and 2008; Rory McIlroy won it in 2011; Jordan Spieth, in 2015. But what did these three have in common at this year’s...
How do I get vitamin D?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Vitamin D is frequently referred to as the “sunshine vitamin.” That’s because a common source of vit...
How can I get tested for vitamin D levels in my body?
To have your vitamin D levels tested, start by talking to your doctor. A blood test that measure...
What Foods Are Rich In Vitamin D?
What Foods Are Rich In Vitamin D?