Q

Vitamin C

How can vitamin C help keep my skin healthy?

• A , Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism, answered
    Vitamin C is a key anti-aging nutrient that can help your skin stay young looking and healthy. In this video, weight management specialist Caroline Apovian, MD, explains how vitamin C helps produce collagen, which is important for healthy skin.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Vitamin C is described as an antioxidant in skin care products. Ascorbic acid, the most common form of which is vitamin C, can act as an antioxidant by scavenging free-radicals.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.
  • A , Dermatology, answered
    Vitamin C helps the skin retain collagen, giving it a more supple appearance. Vitamin C also cleans up free radicals, preventing them from damaging DNA, and helps control inflammation, aids in wound healing, and wards off infection. Whole food sources of vitamin C in the daily diet can include broccoli, cantaloupe, citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, tangerines), kiwifruit, peppers, potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, and blueberries.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A answered
    Vitamin C is essential to building collagen and elastin -- the fibers that make skin strong and stretchy. It is also a potent antioxidant, which means it can neutralize troublemaking free radicals. Scientists have shown that not getting enough C each day contributes to wrinkles and dryness.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Does vitamin C help strengthen the immune system?