How does my body's vitamin C level affect my skin?

Vitamin C is critical for your body and plays an important role in maintaining healthy, resilient skin. While young skin is full of vitamin C, aging skin naturally loses this nutrient over time. Other factors like exposure to UV light, pollutants, and cigarette smoke compound the decline of vitamin C, contributing to signs of aging. The good news is that you can fight back by replenishing your skin’s vitamin C levels to help to combat and even reverse time’s effect on your face.

One of the most powerful functions of vitamin C is its role in the production of collagen, a protein that gives your skin its elasticity. As you age, collagen breaks down and wrinkles begin to form. Stabilizing your skin’s levels of vitamin C can help to counteract wrinkle formation by increasing collagen production.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Vitamin C

Vitamin C Is Not an Exercise Replacement
John F. Kennedy once said, “There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable...
What food should I eat for Vitamins C and E?
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RDElizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, can be found in citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, etc.), k...
Does vitamin C interact with other medications?
Yes, it can. Deferoxamine and iron supplements are both known to interact with vitamin C supplem...
What Are the Benefits of Vitamin C for the Skin?