How does vitamin A work?

Vitamin A comes from two sources. Retinoids, such as retinol, are the vitamin A that come from animal sources, such as liver, eggs, and dairy products and are the most quickly usable types of the vitamin. Carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, are the vitamin A that is found in plants, such as carrots and dark green vegetables. The body utilizes carotenoids to create retinol. The liver stores vitamin A and helps keep correct vitamin levels in the blood.

Vitamin A helps with the transfer of light into nerve signals needed for vision. It is required for cell growth and the process of making stem cells into various kinds of cells, bone growth, and reproduction. It helps with maintenance of healthy urinary, respiratory, and intestinal tracts, as well as with controlling genes for structural proteins, such as those in the skin.

Continue Learning about Vitamin A

Should I let my doctor know I take vitamin A?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
What are good sources of vitamin A?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Standardized vitamin-A fortified foods such as milk and butter spreads can be a good vehicle for pro...
Why is vitamin A important or good health?
Vitamin A is the common name for a group of fat-soluble substances present in two forms in food: pre...
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions