How should I communicate with someone who is visually impaired?

Do not speak to someone with a visual impairment in a way that is different from how you would speak to someone who is not visually-impaired. Often, individuals approach someone who is visually-impaired as though they have a hearing impairment as well. Any commands or instructions that are issued to a visually-impaired person must be consistent and the individual giving the commands should display confidence. Inconsistency in communication is truly unnerving for someone who is visually-impaired. If a guide or buddy lacks confidence, the visually-impaired individual will face significant challenges with his or her own ability to be secure in the circumstances, and in the skills and abilities of his or her buddy. 

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

What is the rate of incidence for visual impairments?
Because there are many different kinds of visual impairments it is difficult to measure the rate of ...
How do other illnesses affect visual impairments?
Certain illness can actually cause some forms of visual impairment. Atherosclerosis has been found t...
What can I do if I have trouble seeing at night?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is a very common problem. You should have a comprehensive exam from an opthalmologist. They wil...
What specialized services are available to help with visual impairment?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
There are many specialized services available to help the visually impaired. Some services you may u...