How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?

The duration of immunity is not yet known. Research is being conducted to find out how long protection will last. Phase III clinical trials have shown that Gardasil and Cervarix can provide protection against HPV16 for 4 years. Smaller studies have suggested that protection is likely to last for longer than 4 years, but it is not known if protection conferred through vaccination will be life long.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Dr. Diane Harper
Health Education

Like many vaccines, the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine doesn't last a lifetime. Learn how long you can expect to be protected with the HPV shot by watching this video.

Continue Learning about Viral Vaccine

When should my daughter get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Your daughter should get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for protection against HPV, a sexual...
When should my child get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Eric M. Genden, MDDr. Eric M. Genden, MD
In young girls, vaccinations are given between ages 9 and 14. In this video,  Eric Genden, MD, chair...
Will my health insurance cover the cost of the HPV vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, but you may want ...
Why should young men get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Martin M. Anderson, MDDr. Martin M. Anderson, MD
When the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine first came out in 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administr...