How can I treat a sore throat?

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine Specialist

The common sore throat is well treated by a few natural recommendations:

• Plenty of sleep: sleep is key for the immune system. Without sleep, it is hard for the immune system to mount a strong response.
  • Salt water gargles three times a day: use a buffered saline rinse (found in pharmacies).
  • Nasal rinses three times a day: these help decrease the mucus that drips into the throat. This mucus can help grow the bacteria that causes sore throat.
  • Zinc gluconate lozenges.
  • Golden seal (hydrastis) tincture: can be squirted into the throat, and also used in the above gargle. This tincture can be swallowed.
  • Drink plenty of water, fresh ginger tea and/or black tea with honey.

While I generally do not recommend antibiotics, in case strep in children under the age of 16, an antibiotic may be warranted. Suppressive medications like 'Nyquil' and pain relievers should only be reserved for times when the symptoms do not allow a person to properly sleep due to discomfort. These medications can hinder the immune system from clearing the bacteria sooner, and thus is not recommended.

For children and adults, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, decongestants and saline nasal sprays may help relieve some symptoms of viral infections. Remember, always use over-the-counter products as directed. Many over-the-counter products are not recommended for children younger than certain ages.

For a sore throat:

• Soothe a sore throat with ice chips, sore throat spray, or lozenges (do not give lozenges to young children).
  • Use a clean humidifier or cool mist vaporizer.
  • Take acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen to relieve pain or fever (check what is safe to give your child).

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Is laryngitis a type of viral throat infection?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Laryngitis is inflammation of the larynx, the passageway for air to the lungs, including the voice b...
What viral illnesses cause viral throat infection?
There are several viral illnesses that can cause a viral throat infection. These include:the common ...
When should my child's tonsils be removed?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Doctors remove children's tonsils when they have recurrent infections or sleep apnea.
How do I manage my viral throat infection on a daily basis?
Managing your viral throat infection on a daily basis involves minimizing the uncomfortable symptoms...