Why do people choose to eat a vegetarian diet?

There are lots of reasons people choose a vegetarian or vegan diet. I became a vegetarian in college when mystery meat showed up on the menu. I didn't like the idea of eating animals. I chose a vegan diet for my health; the more that I learned about nutrition, the more I realized I didn't want to be ingesting animal proteins. Some folks choose to eat less meat for envirnomental reasons, raising animals for food takes more resources than raising vegetable crops.
I am personally a vegetarian so I can speak to this. I became a vegetarian because of ethical reasons. I was and am against cruelty and killing of animals for food. However, I have also discovered that it to me is also healthier to eat this way. The challenge, of course, is making sure you get the protein you need. I drink a lot of protein shakes and buy vegetarian meat products such as Morningstar which tastes very good and fulfills your nutrient needs. Many people do it for the environment as well. It is a lifestyle change and takes some getting used to but I have been one for 16 years now and there is no going back.
Vandana  R. Sheth

Following a vegetarian diet is a very personal decision. Besides health some of the key reasons why people decide to follow a vegetarian diet could be animal rights/compassion, environment, religion, peer pressure, political belief, popularity, etc. Regardless of the reason for choosing a vegetarian diet, it is important to ensure that it is well balanced and nutritionally varied.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Where to Find the Best Plant-Based Proteins
You don’t have to be a vegetarian (over 7 million folks in America are) to want to increase your intake of plant-based protein. But, it’s a great idea...
How can my child get enough nutrients on a vegetarian diet?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Getting in a variety of foods will help ensure that anyone, but certainly a vegetarian, is getti...
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet5 Unexpected Reasons to Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Better digestion, lower heart disease risks and other surprising reasons to eat more fruits and veggies.
How to Find the Best Tomatoes
How to Find the Best Tomatoes