Can a vegetarian diet help prevent heart disease?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Absolutely! There are many recent studies that have concluded that a healthy, low fat, high fiber vegetarian diet can prevent and possibly even reverse heart disease.  

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found that low-fat vegan diets reduce the risk for heart disease in diabetics patients. Patients on low-fat vegan diets had better results than those following the diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association's guidelines.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, found that by eating a plant-based diet full of whole grains, you can prevent and reverse heart disease. 

Similarly, Dr. Dean Ornish treated patients with lifestyle dietary changes and effectively reversed their heart disease.

Continue Learning about Vegetarian Diets

Where to Find the Best Plant-Based Proteins
You don’t have to be a vegetarian (over 7 million folks in America are) to want to increase your intake of plant-based protein. But, it’s a great idea...
As a vegetarian, how can I control my carbohydrate intake?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When it comes to carbohydrates and vegetarians, its good to know what counts as a carb so we don't e...
While dining in a vegetarian restaurant, what foods should I choose?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
One of the big misconceptions regarding vegetarian food preparation is that if it doesn't have meat,...
What Are Some Good Sources of Plant Proteins?