How common is vasectomy?

Worldwide about 50 million men have had a vasectomy -- it is a commonly used form of contraception in many parts of the world. Each year, about 500,000 men in the US get a vasectomy, with rates higher among more educated and higher-income men.

Continue Learning about Vasectomy

Recession May Have Sparked Increase in Vasectomies
The 2008 financial crisis left many people with questions they'd probably never fully considered. What happens if I'm jobless for few years? How will ...
Can a vasectomy reversal cause low sex drive?
Michael W. Mangelson, MDMichael W. Mangelson, MD
No. The reversal of a vasectomy is performed to return sperm to the ejaculate. This should not affec...
What are the risks of no-scalpel vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
In no-scalpel vasectomy, a special instrument is used to make a tiny puncture in the skin and stretc...
How soon after a vasectomy can I have sex?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
You can have sex two days after your vasectomy, but you must continue to use some type of contracept...