Can vasectomy protect against sexually transmitted diseases?

Although it is extremely effective for preventing pregnancy, vasectomy does not offer protection against acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases. Consequently, it is important that vasectomized men continue to use condoms, preferably latex, which offer considerable protection against the spread of disease, in any sexual encounter that carries the risk of contracting or transmitting infection.

Continue Learning about Vasectomy

Recession May Have Sparked Increase in Vasectomies
The 2008 financial crisis left many people with questions they'd probably never fully considered. What happens if I'm jobless for few years? How will ...
How common is vasectomy?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
Worldwide about 50 million men have had a vasectomy -- it is a commonly used form of contraception i...
How is a vasectomy done?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
There are 2 main techniques for performing vasectomy, but all of them block or cut the 2 tubes, call...
Is it ok to get a vasectomy now and then reverse it later?
Peter N. Mattar, MDPeter N. Mattar, MD
While counseling my patients, I always tell them that the vasectomy is a "non-reversible" procedure....