Should I foam roll my varicose veins?

No, avoid foam rolling varicose veins. Foam rolling these areas causes an increase in blood pressure in the veins potentially increasing pain or discomfort.

Dr. Angelo G. Chachas, MD
Colorectal Surgeon

In this video, Angelo Chachas, MD, of MountainStar Vein Center, says that you can't foam roll varicose veins; however, compression socks and stockings may offer temporary pain relief.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Large twisted blue or purplish veins visible at the skins surface are known as varicose veins. Any vein in your body can become varicose but it usually occurs in the legs and feet due to the pressure the lower body endures to keep ...

your body upright. It is caused by the weakening of the valves and veins in your legs. Varicose veins are usually hereditary. We are also more prone to get varicose veins as we age. Symptoms include itching, burning, throbbing or cramping in the legs and around the veins. Self-care measures such as exercising, elevating your legs, and wearing compression stockings are used to ease the pain and prevent varicose veins from getting worse. If these measures dont work, see your doctor to discuss medical treatments that are available to close or remove varicose veins.