How does the flu shot prevent me from getting the flu?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine Specialist

Preventive medicine specialist Dr. David Katz explains how the flu shot prevents you from getting the flu. Watch Dr. Katz's video for information on preventive medicine and overall wellness.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

When you receive a flu vaccine, your body thinks it has contracted a mild case of the illness, and it builds immunity against the virus. If you are exposed later to virus from a person with the flu, you may not get sick at all. Flu viruses may change from year to year and protection from a flu vaccine wears off over time, so doctors recommend getting a flu vaccine every year.

The seasonal flu vaccine protects you against the influenza viruses that research suggests will be most common during the upcoming flu season. “Trivalent” vaccines are made to protect against three flu viruses:

• influenza A (H1N1) virus
  • influenza A (H3N2) virus
  • influenza B virus

Quadravalent flu vaccines are made to protect against four flu viruses. They protect against an additional influenza B virus.

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician

The flu shot prevents you from getting the flu, or influenza, by training your body's immune system to both recognize and fight the flu. After getting the flu shot, your body needs about two weeks to create this immune response. That is why it is important to get the flu shot at the beginning of the flu season. If you wait to get the shot until the flu is common in the community, you may be exposed to the flu before your body can create the desired immune response.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What is the link between the MMR vaccine and autism?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Some people are concerned that vaccination causes autism. However, there is no scientific evidence l...
Who should get the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
Your child should get the pertussis vaccine if he/she is under seven years old. Even if your child h...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?