Why is the pertussis vaccine only given for the first six years?

As your children grow older, their immune systems will mature and grow stronger. Until then, the pertussis vaccine boosts their immunity so that they will be protected from the highly infectious respiratory diseases. A booster shot may be given when the child is 10 or 11 years of age.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
When should my child get a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
In the United States, the recommended pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine for children is called DTaP...
When should my child get a flu vaccine?
If your child is at risk of contracting influenza either because you or his caregivers are, or he is...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?