Who should not get DTaP vaccine?

The DTaP vaccine is intended for children between the ages of six weeks and six years of age. Your child should most likely not receive the vaccine if they have allergies to any of the DTaP vaccine's ingredients, including polymyxin B, neomycin and yeast. There are certain medical conditions, such as bleeding disorders, central nervous system disorders, brain disease, Guillain-Barre syndrome and immunodeficiency disorders, that may put your child at a higher risk of adverse reactions to the DTaP vaccine. The medications used to treat some of these illnesses, such as corticosteroids, may decrease the effectiveness of the DTaP vaccine. It is important to discuss potential risks and benefits with your doctor. If your child is ill, you will have to wait for full recovery before administering the vaccine. The DTaP cannot treat infections that have already begun.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
What is an influenza vaccine?
Flu vaccines are the first and best protection against influenza. While flu vaccines are available i...
How can I prepare my child for a vaccination shot?
Make sure your child is in good health, is hydrated with water before vaccination, and is not receiv...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?