Which type of influenza vaccine should I get?

The influenza vaccine is delivered in two ways: as an injection and as a nasal spray. Anyone who can receive the influenza vaccine can get the injection (flu shot). The injectable form of the vaccine contains only dead influenza virus. However, the nasal spray form of the vaccine contains live virus, although it is in a weakened state. As a result, people who have lung problems, such as asthma, heart problems, diabetes or other metabolic disorders, a weakened immune system or are pregnant should not get the nasal spray form of the vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Why do I need the flu vaccine every year?
Flu can be a serious disease, particularly among young children, older adults and people with certai...
Who should get the Tdap vaccine?
The Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine is recommended for everyone 11 years and older,...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?