What is the Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine?

The Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine is used to prevent infection caused by the Japanese encephalitis virus. This vaccine will not treat an infection that has already occurred. Japanese encephalitis is a serious disease that is carried by mosquitoes in certain rural areas of Asia. It is not transmittable from person to person. The Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine helps develop immunity to this virus. It is taken at least one week before any potential exposure to the Japanese encephalitis virus. This vaccine is administered via subcutaneous injection.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
How effective is the flu vaccine?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
There is some legitimate doubt about the effectiveness of the flu vaccine. It is certainly far from ...
What should I do after a serious reaction to a flu vaccine?
If you have had a serious reaction to a seasonal influenza vaccine, call a doctor, or get to a docto...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?