What is Fluvirin?

Fluvirin is a brand name for the vaccine used to prevent infection by influenza virus. The vaccine is reformulated every year. It includes the most current problematic viral strains. Public health departments study new strains and recommend changes in the vaccine every year. Fluvirin contains inactivated virus particles as antigens that stimulate the immune system to develop antibodies to the flu virus. It is preventative and will not treat active infections. You need to be revaccinated every year. The vaccine is usually given in the fall.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Should I get a flu shot while I'm pregnant?
If you're pregnant, you should consider getting a flu vaccine. Pregnancy causes changes in the heart...
Why are vaccines necessary?
Vaccines are necessary for the following reasons: Vaccines can prevent the risk of serious diseas...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?