Why should seniors get the tetanus with pertussis (Tdap) vaccine?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

The tetanus with pertussis (Tdap) vaccine is usually given as a series in childhood, but the effect wears off as people age—putting seniors at risk. Pertussis (whooping cough) can cause spells of coughing that can affect breathing, eating and even sleeping. Further, grandparents, siblings and parents are usually the source of whooping cough in babies, and babies have the highest rates of whooping cough-related deaths.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Should I get a flu shot while I'm pregnant?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness that affects pregnant women more severely than non-pregnant...
Who should get the flu shot?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Everyone over the age of six months should get a seasonal flu shot every year, according to the Cent...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?