Does the shingles vaccine have any risks?

The shingles vaccine was approved for people 50 and older, but only around 10% of people who are eligible for a shingles vaccination ever get it. We bet it's because of Internet buzz about safety concerns -- and the fact that most people aren't really aware that every third person in the U.S. gets shingles. That's more than 1 million cases a year.

Good news! A massive study of almost 200,000 people shows that the live shingles vaccine poses no increased risk for cerebrovascular diseases, stroke, cardiovascular disease (heart attack), meningitis, encephalitis, encephalopathy, Ramsay Hunt syndrome, or Bell's palsy. It's safe and well tolerated. True, the vaccine doesn't protect you completely from shingles, but it reduces your risk by up to 70%. (The younger you are, the better the protection.) Plus, if you do end up with shingles, having been vaccinated makes the attack much milder, with less-severe post-infection pain.

Remember, there's little risk from the shingles vaccine, and a much bigger one from skipping it. Take a shot. It's a win-win situation.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Should I worry if my son was accidentally given several vaccines twice?
Should I worry if my son was accidentally given several vaccines twice? You should not be concerned...
How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?