What should I know about Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine?

Before receiving Japanese encephalitis vaccine, you should know that there are two different brand name products that are used differently. This vaccine is administered in a series of doses that must be completed at least a week before traveling to the area where exposure may occur. Some people experience minor side effects after receiving the first dose of this vaccine and may continue with the series. Serious side effects from this vaccine are rare. If you have had an allergic reaction to the first dose, you should not receive additional doses.

The brand Ixiaro may be administered by intramuscular injection only to adults and adolescents 17 years of age and older in a series of two doses given 28 days apart.

The brand JE-VAX may be administered by subcutaneous injection to adults, adolescents and children as young as one year of age in a series of three doses given on days 0, 7 and 30.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?