What should I know about the diphtheria and tetanus vaccine?

You should know that vaccinations are the primary way of preventing diphtheria and tetanus infections and the diseases caused by the toxins that the bacteria release. The number of cases of these life-threatening diseases has fallen by more than 96 percent in developed countries since the vaccinations were first  administered. A small risk of allergic reaction to the vaccine is possible, but the risks of contracting diphtheria or tetanus without the vaccination are higher. To be protected, you should receive three doses of the DT vaccine during childhood; an adult Td booster should be administered every 10 years. If you have a seizure or nervous system disorder, Guillain-Barre syndrome or have had a negative reaction to a previous vaccination, you may not be able to receive this vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What is an influenza vaccine?
Flu vaccines are the first and best protection against influenza. While flu vaccines are available i...
Why is it important for seniors to get a pneumococcal vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Pneumococcal bacteria can cause many types of illnesses, including pneumonia, ear infections, mening...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?