What are the benefits of receiving the shingles vaccine?

Shingles is a virus that causes pain, itching, skin blisters, and other unpleasant symptoms. Large studies have shown that the shingles vaccine significantly reduces the risk of developing this skin condition and its unpleasant symptoms. Research indicates that people who receive the vaccine cut their risk for being diagnosed with shingles by about 50%. The vaccine also reduces the risk for developing long-term pain related to shingles, called post-herpetic neuralgia, by 65%.

Talk with your doctor about whether the shingles vaccine is right for you. 

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Why should I get the flu shot?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a yearly flu vaccine as the first an...
Is the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine really worth the risk?
The measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is worth the very slight risk of getting it. Without th...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?