What vaccines should I get if I have a heart condition?

To support the treatment for your heart condition, your healthcare providers may recommend these health maintenance measures:
  • An annual flu shot: Influenza vaccines can help you avoid this year's worst flu.
  • A pneumococcal vaccine: A "pneumovax" can help protect you from pneumonia, meningitis, and other serious infections.
Studies have shown that both types of vaccines are very safe and very effective.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who have heart disease should get the flu vaccine every year. Heart disease includes coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, vascular disease and stroke. It protects against the flu and the worsening of heart conditions due to flu.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Flu Shot May Protect More Than You Think
When the NY Giants’ Michael Strahan was crowned the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2001 he could never have predicted that one day he would be ...
What are reliable sources of information about vaccinations?
Because the topic of vaccinations is so complicated and conflicted, I recommend you explore it furth...
Myth or Fact: 6 Things You Need to Know About Vaccines
Myth or Fact: 6 Things You Need to Know About VaccinesMyth or Fact: 6 Things You Need to Know About VaccinesMyth or Fact: 6 Things You Need to Know About VaccinesMyth or Fact: 6 Things You Need to Know About Vaccines
No, immunizations aren't linked to autism. The number of pediatricians that encountered parents who refused vaccinations for their children jumped fro...
The Shingles Vaccine Is Safe and Effective