What vaccines should I get if I have a heart condition?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who have heart disease should get the flu vaccine every year. Heart disease includes coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, vascular disease and stroke. It protects against the flu and the worsening of heart conditions due to flu.
Intermountain Healthcare
Administration
To support the treatment for your heart condition, your healthcare providers may recommend these health maintenance measures:
  • An annual flu shot: Influenza vaccines can help you avoid this year's worst flu.
  • A pneumococcal vaccine: A "pneumovax" can help protect you from pneumonia, meningitis, and other serious infections.
Studies have shown that both types of vaccines are very safe and very effective.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.