What vaccines should I get if I have a heart condition?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who have heart disease should get the flu vaccine every year. Heart disease includes coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, vascular disease and stroke. It protects against the flu and the worsening of heart conditions due to flu.
To support the treatment for your heart condition, your healthcare providers may recommend these health maintenance measures:
  • An annual flu shot: Influenza vaccines can help you avoid this year's worst flu.
  • A pneumococcal vaccine: A "pneumovax" can help protect you from pneumonia, meningitis, and other serious infections.
Studies have shown that both types of vaccines are very safe and very effective.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Flu Shot May Protect More Than You Think
When the NY Giants’ Michael Strahan was crowned the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2001 he could never have predicted that one day he would be ...
Should I wait until my children are older to vaccinate them?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Because their immune systems have not fully developed, children under the age of five are especially...
How can I prepare my child for a vaccination shot?
Most children get their first vaccination at birth in the hospital and then their first set of vacci...
Does the Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine Contain Thimerosal?