What is a toxoid vaccine?

A toxoid vaccine is effective against illness caused by bacteria by using harmless varieties of the toxins caused by the bacteria. For example, the diphtheria bacteria (Corynebacterium diphtheriae) can make people seriously sick by infecting the respiratory system and releasing poisons. The diphtheria vaccine is created by inactivating diphtheria toxins with a formaldehyde-based substance called formalin. The vaccine enables a person's body to learn to fight against the toxin, preventing harm from a diphtheria infection. Tetanus is another illness prevented with a toxoid vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Facts to Support Vaccinations
Facts to Support Vaccinations
When MTV celebrated its 29th birthday this summer, the music video channel had to face facts. Music videos have become super-popular on venues like Yo...
Why is it important to keep my child's immunizations up to date?
Even though the United States experiences outbreaks of some vaccine-preventable diseases, the spread...
Why should my baby be vaccinated?
First CandleFirst Candle
According to studies as recently as 2001, thousands of children in the U.S. will develop serious ill...
Can I Get Influenza From the Influenza Vaccine?