What can I do if my health insurance doesn't cover vaccinations?

Most health insurance plans cover the cost of vaccinations. However, you should check with your insurance provider before going to the doctor. If you don't have health insurance, or if your insurance doesn't cover vaccinations, your child is eligible for vaccines through the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program. The VFC Program helps families of eligible children who might not otherwise have access to recommended childhood vaccines.

The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.