How do I prove that I got the mumps vaccine in childhood?

It is possible to prove that you were vaccinated for mumps or received the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine in childhood by having your doctor order a blood test called an MMR titer. This test will check your blood for antibodies to measles, mumps and rubella, which should have been made by your immune system after being exposed to the vaccine.
If you are returning to college or require proof of vaccination for another reason, ask your doctor to test you for antibodies to the mumps virus. If they are present, it means you are immune. If you cannot be tested, you may need to get the mumps vaccine again. Talk to your doctor about your options to prove immunity or reduce your risk of getting mumps.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.