How do vaccinations work?

Vaccinations work by helping the body create antibodies to fight disease.

When germs invade the body, they cause an infection. Once the body fights off the infection, the body is left with a supply of cells called antibodies that help recognize and fight that disease in the future. Vaccinations introduce a weakened form of the disease into the body. The body then makes antibodies to fight the invaders so if the disease ever attacks, the antibodies will destroy these invaders, providing protection against the disease.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Kelly Traver
Internist

A vaccination works by giving you a very small dose of a bacterium, virus, or toxin to prepare your immune system to quickly mobilize and fight in the event you are exposed to it in the future.

Vaccinations work by stimulating the body's immune system before you're exposed to an invader such as a virus or bacteria, so that you're already protected when you encounter it. All vaccines are designed to affect the immune system in some way.

Prophylactic vaccines are designed to stimulate a response of the immune system to a modified version of the invader so that when you are infected with the actual virus or bacteria, it can quickly mount a major offense against the invader before you become sick.

Therapeutic vaccines are designed to strengthen the immune system's response to cancer or other abnormal cells.

Vaccinations work by injecting a tiny amount of a weakened or killed germ into the body so the immune system learns to recognize that germ. This way, if the germ ever attacks, the immune system can fight it off very quickly to prevent infection so people don’t get sick.

Immunizations expose children to a minuscule, highly safe amount of a virus or bacteria that has been killed, is very weak or has been artificially created. The immune system quickly learns to recognize this invader and defend the body against future attacks. Consequently, the next time the body is exposed to the virus or bacteria, the immune system kicks in and either prevents infection or weakens the severity of the illness.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines and Herd Immunity: What You Need to Know
Outbreaks of vaccination-controllable diseases are spreading. When the number of measles cases hit 30 in Clark Country, Washington, in December 2019,...
What should I know about my baby's caregivers and immunizations?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Every year we see a larger outbreak of pertussis, and many affected are infants 3 months of age or l...
What should I do if I can't afford my child's measles vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of vaccines. But, you may want to check with your health ...
What Is Thimerosal?
What Is Thimerosal?