Can vaccines wipe out diseases?

Vaccination supporters believe that through vaccines, we can achieve what's referred to as herd immunity, making diseases so uncommon in the environment (the herd) that some are eventually eradicated. (And we no longer need the vaccine.) The best example is the global elimination of smallpox. We were very close to eliminating polio until a few countries declined immunization for several years, allowing it to resurface in their populations and then spread to others. Until those outbreaks can be eliminated, polio vaccination is still a necessity.

Those against vaccines, on the other hand, say that modern medical advances such as sanitation systems and personal hygiene have also played a major role in wiping out diseases, and children do not need to be vaccinated for diseases that they're at little risk of contracting or suffering life-threatening complications from.

I love the smallpox story but think it is unlikely to be repeated for many diseases. And vaccination against some organisms always will be needed. For example, vaccination against tetanus will always be needed, as this tetanus-causing organism is universally present in the soil. Until the smallpox story can be repeated for other diseases preventable by vaccines, I urge parents to protect their children according to current standards set by the American Academy of Pediatrics. These schedules have considerable flexibility, and I urge you to discuss them with your pediatrician.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Flu Shot May Protect More Than You Think
When the NY Giants’ Michael Strahan was crowned the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2001 he could never have predicted that one day he would be ...
What diseases can immunization protect babies against?
Immunizations protect babies from a variety of serious but preventable diseases. These immunizations...
Should I get a measles vaccine before traveling internationally?
Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of getting infected with measles virus when t...
Why Is the Addition of Thimerosal to Flu Vaccines Controversial?