Should I talk to my doctor about my uterine fibroid symptoms?

Yes. The most common symptoms fibroids cause are heavy menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain (worse during menses), and increased urinary frequency. While these symptoms are not exclusive to fibroids, if you are suffering with these symptoms, it may be due to fibroids, and you should discuss this with your doctor.

If you have symptoms that you think may be caused by fibroids, it's a good idea to talk to your doctor. Noticeable symptoms of fibroids may include heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding, persistent or sudden pelvic pain, abdominal swelling, or problems with urination or constipation. Your doctor can confirm a diagnosis and help you find a treatment that will reduce or eliminate your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

Uterine Fibroids

If you have uterine fibroids, you may never even notice that they are there. Ranging from the size of a small seed to grapefruit-sized, fibroids are tumors on the uterus that rarely cause harm. Some women have true discomfort with ...

fibroids, including pain in the abdomen or low back, or pain during sex. Sometimes, uterine fibroids can cause miscarriage, preterm labor, or even lead to infertility. Women in their 40s and 50s, women of African-American descent and women that are overweight are at higher risk of developing fibroids, although an estimated 20-80% of women will have them at some point before they turn 50. If your doctor notices fibroids during an ultrasound or pelvic exam, he or she may want to treat them with medication or surgery.