How do you treat bleeding that is related to uterine fibroids?

Rafael J. Perez, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Treatment for bleeding as a result of uterine fibroids can span from non –invasive to invasive: the medicinal approach to the surgical approach.  
For example: Heavy bleeding and prolonged menstrual cycles, your GYN can prescribe oral contraceptives or progestins. A hormonal intra uterine device (inserted by your gynecologist) can be another option.
Please keep in mind, when symptoms are not relieved by the medicinal approach, the patient may need additional treatment such as surgery or procedures such as uterine artery embolization or endometrial ablation.  
Bleeding related to fibroids should first be treated medically. In the past non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAID, ex. ibuprofen) or oral contraceptive pills have been the most commonly used. More recently, tranexamic acid is a NSAID that has specific effects on the lining of the uterus to improve bleeding. It is prescribed to be taken only on the heaviest days of bleeding (up to 5 days maximum) each month. If the medical therapy does not work, Uterine Artery/Fibroid Embolization (UAE or UFE) should be considered along with surgery. UFE is non-surgical, performed as an outpatient, treats all of the fibroids in the uterus, and allows women not only to avoid riskier surgery, it allows them to keep their uterus.

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

Uterine Fibroids

If you have uterine fibroids, you may never even notice that they are there. Ranging from the size of a small seed to grapefruit-sized, fibroids are tumors on the uterus that rarely cause harm. Some women have true discomfort with ...

fibroids, including pain in the abdomen or low back, or pain during sex. Sometimes, uterine fibroids can cause miscarriage, preterm labor, or even lead to infertility. Women in their 40s and 50s, women of African-American descent and women that are overweight are at higher risk of developing fibroids, although an estimated 20-80% of women will have them at some point before they turn 50. If your doctor notices fibroids during an ultrasound or pelvic exam, he or she may want to treat them with medication or surgery.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.