Why did the USDA change the food guidelines from the pyramid to the plate?

Nutritionists maintain that the food pyramid was a misrepresentation of healthy eating, as it failed to differentiate nutrient-dense foods, like whole grains and fish, from empty-calorie foods like refined cereals and pasta. The most notable changes the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has made emphasize that at least half of your grains should be whole grains (oatmeal, whole cornmeal, brown rice, etc.), and that half of your plate should be filled with fruits and vegetables. The new guidelines stress adding more "color" to your dish.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

How can I find out more information about the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Bethany ThayerBethany Thayer
The USDA has created a website with all the information you need. Visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
What are some basic guidelines for healthy eating?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The best guidelines to follow are the 2010 Dietary Guidelines and MyPlate. The key messages for maki...
How important are grains in the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Eating grains and especially whole grains is very beneficial to our health. The USDA MyPlate explain...
Do I need to follow the USDA MyPlate exactly to eat healthy?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
MyPlate are guidelines to a healthy diet. These are suggestions to make you more aware so that over ...