Does a fever always accompany a bladder infection?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A fever may, but does not always, accompany a bladder infection. Children may sometimes run a fever with a bladder infection. Other signs to watch for include nausea, smelly urine, or loss of appetite. If your child has a high fever without signs of a cold for more than a day, consult a doctor to check for a bladder infection. Fever is not a common sign of bladder infection for adults but may occur, especially if the infection has spread.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

The Risk of UTIs Increases in Older Women—Here’s Why
When you think of urinary tract infections (UTIs), you may think of them happening in people in their teens, 20s and 30s. But UTIs in older women are ...
Can I catch a UTI from my partner during sex?
These are the risk factors associated with urinary tract infections (UTIs): history of repeat UTIs, ...
What can urinary tract infections be a sign of in children?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Often urinary tract infection (UTI) is the first sign of a congenital bladder or kidney anomaly....
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?