When should I call my doctor if I have urinary incontinence?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you only experience minor urinary incontinence on rare occasions—such as when you laughed really hard—you probably don't need to see your doctor. However, if you experience incontinence on a regular basis or it is affecting your life, you should talk to your doctor. Even if you think your incontinence is minor, it can have a significant impact on your quality of life. In addition, urinary incontinence is often a symptom of an underlining issue, so talking to your doctor may catch another condition early.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Habits that Impact Bladder Control
Habits that Impact Bladder Control
Urinary incontinence refers to a person’s inability to control when they release urine—in other words, your bladder leaks before you are able to get t...
5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
Overactive bladder (OAB) affects approximately 33 million Americans, though the number of people with symptoms is thought to be significantly higher. ...
What Frequent Urination at Night May Mean
Do you visit the bathroom two or more times a night? Here's something to consider: a checkup.  Frequent urination at night can increase with age—and ...
What questions may my doctor ask about my incontinence?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
Your doctor will first ask you about your symptoms, medical and surgical history, and family history...