How do I know if I have urge incontinence?

Jill Rabin
Allergy

Do you have urge incontinence? Take this simple test:

1. Do you urinate more than eight or nine times per day?

2. Do you urinate more than two or three times per night? Does this urge
   wake you from a sound sleep?

3. Do you have trouble making it to the bathroom in time?

4. Do you lose urine on your way to the bathroom?

5. Does running water give you the urge to urinate?

6. Can you make it to your front door or to your bathroom but then lose
   urine before you reach the toilet?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, there is a good chance that you are suffering from urge incontinence and would benefit from seeing a specialist such as a urogynecologist or a urologist.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

The main symptom of  urge incontinence is feeling a strong need to urinate and having to rush to the bathroom because of urine loss before you can get there. Other symptoms include: voiding frequently (every 1 -2 hours), feeling urge to void when you hear the running water or you drive home and put the key in the door; loss of urine as soon as you stand up to get to the bathroom or sudden loss of large amount of  urine as soon as you feel the urge to void.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary incontinence (UI) is the accidental release of urine, which can affect both men and women. Symptoms of UI may differ from person to person and the treatment options range from medications to surgery. Learn more from our ex...

perts about UI.