What increases my risk for stress urinary incontinence (SUI)?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Being overweight, not doing pelvic floor muscle exercises (PFME-ask your doctor, obgyn or physical therapist), over or under intake of fluids, smoking and the chronic coughing that may accompany it, and certain medications (review with your physician). pregnancy, chronic constipation, menopause and a family history of SUI and pelvic organ prolapse.

Gender is one of the prime risk factors for stress urinary incontinence: women are more likely to have incontinence due to carrying and birthing a child, menopause, and the way the female anatomy is constructed. However, men can also be at risk if they have prostate issues. Other illnesses, such as diabetes or kidney disease, can increase your risk for developing urinary incontinence. Lastly, being overweight or smoking can also lead to incontinence.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

5 Ways to Fight Urinary Incontinence
5 Ways to Fight Urinary Incontinence
What embarrassing health secret do many women of a certain age share but rarely 'fess up to? Bladder problems. We're talking dribbles, sudden leaks, a...
What questions may my doctor ask about my incontinence?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
Your doctor will first ask you about your symptoms, medical and surgical history, and family history...
How is stress incontinence different from urge incontinence?
Ja-Hong Kim, MDJa-Hong Kim, MD
Stress and urge incontinence are very different. With urge incontinence, you have unpredictable leak...
When Is It Time to See a Doctor for Urinary Incontinence?