What is Urinary Incontinence?
Urinary incontinence (UI) is a fancy name for the accidental release of urine, which can affect both men and women. Sometimes it's stress incontinence -- a minor leak when you sneeze or laugh too hard. Or you may have urge incontinence -- the sudden need to urinate without enough time to make it to the bathroom. Other times there's a medical reason behind it. The good news? UI can be treated.Start here
Symptoms of UI may differ from person to person. They include having a need to urinate frequently (more than eight times a day); frequent leakage with or without a feeling of urgency; leakage due to a sudden, unstoppable need to urinate; getting up to urinate two or more times during the night; and leaking when you sneeze, laugh, cough or exercise.Read more
The Difference Between UI and Overactive BladderGet the Facts
AskMDFind out what may be causing your urinary incontinence
1 in 4
Number of women over 40 who haveleaky bladder problems
Urinary Incontinence Q&As
Megan Sneed, MD
Lee's Summit Medical Center
What causes urinary incontinence in women?
Urinary incontinence among women is common, but it's not normal -- at any age. In this video. . .
- Q What causes dribbling of urine in women?
- Q How do medical issues other than surgical history affect incontinence?
- Q How is stress incontinence different from urge incontinence?
- Q Do men experience urinary incontinence?
- Q What are the symptoms of urinary incontinence in men?
- Q What causes urge incontinence in women?
- Q What are the different types of urinary incontinence in men?
- Q How common is urinary incontinence in older adults?
- Q How can urinary incontinence affect older adults?
- Q Should I tell the doctor about incontinence from a neurological disorder?
Recent Urinary Incontinence Articles
Take steps to manage symptoms, strengthen a weak bladder and live better with urinary incontinence.
Take Vitamin D3 to Stay Out of Adult Diapers Bladder Problems? Do Kegels 5 Ways to Fight Urinary Incontinence What Frequent Urination at Night May Mean See All Articles