Why is repetition important during exercise?

Research demonstrates that training in a specific repetition range yields very specific adaptations. Endurance is best achieved with a repetition range of 12-20. Hypertrophy is best achieved with 6-12 repetitions. Maximal strength and power adaptations occur best when performing 1-10 repetitions. Intensity also plays a role in adaptation but repetitions are very important.

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Repetition -- the number of times or "reps" that you do a specific exercise -- is important if you want to improve your cardiovascular health. Weight-bearing exercise is the key to reducing bone loss and improving muscle mass, and your exercise routine should include exercises with heavier weights. "Heavier" is, of course, relative. Your choice of weights will vary greatly depending on your age, sex, and general health.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

60-Second Workouts
60-Second Workouts
You can do a lot in 60 seconds, like whip up a smoothie, update your Facebook status or find out if that plastic stick you just peed on is going to tu...
How do I perform a standing side lift?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a standing side leg lift: Reps: 8-12 on each side Sets: 1-3 Intensity: Moderate ...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
How Do I Perform a Ball All Fours Alternating Arm Raise?