Is it important to do resistance training if all I do is run?

Yes. Resistance training will reduce risk of injury and can enhance bone density as you age.
Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness Specialist
Running is a good physical activity (please make sure that you warm up properly, cool down, and utilize good shoes). I would recommend that you add resistance training 2-3x/week into your overal physical activity plan. Resistance training is great for building strength and it will also help you burn more calories.

Resistance training can help strengthen the muscles used when you run, resulting in decreased stress placed on your joints. Resistance training can also help strengthen muscles that are weak, which can lead to poor running mechanics and injury. Resistance training, along with focusing on proper running mechanics, can help improve your movement quality leading to a decrease in injury. Resistance training can also be used as a form of cross-training. Cross-training is simply doing a different form of exercise than you normally do (in this case, running). This will help prevent overuse injuries commonly seen in runners while at the same time provide conditioning to your muscles.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

how can i develop a workout plan that works for me ?
Developing a workout plan can be challenging. Think about the things you already do that are act...
how do i perform a standing cable flexion and extension ?
To perform standing cable flexion and extension, you must first know what muscle group you’d like to...
what is a good dance workout for me ?
what is a good dance workout for me ?
tips for cold-weather workouts
tips for cold-weather workouts