How can I increase my leg power?

In order to improve and maximize your leg power, you must have a combination of good lower-body stability and strength.  Stability is the ability to keep the joints in the lower extremities (ankles, knees, hips) in proper alignment, and strength is the ability to maintain that alignment while moving through full and complete ranges of motion.  Before embarking on a program to improve leg power, it is wise to perform at least 4 weeks of stabilization training and 4 weeks of strength training to maximize the results from your power program.  Assuming your stability and strength are at adequate levels, one of the most effective ways to improve leg power is to perform a superset that combines a traditional strength exercise followed immediately by an explosive exercise that challenges the same muscles and/or movement pattern.  An example for the legs consists of performing a set of 1-5 heavy barbell squats followed immediately by a set of 8-10 squat jumps.  Take 2 minutes to recover and repeat this sequence up to four times. The rationale behind this type of superset is that because the resistance in the first exercise is heavy, it will create greater activation of the muscles involved in the movement.  Then, by following the first exercise with a more explosive exercise that works the same muscles, you will not only teach your body how to activate more muscle, but how to activate that muscle or groups of muscle more quickly, resulting in improved power. 

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside
5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside
Get your butt in gear with these simple and fun exercises. Don't tell us. We know. Summer's here, so there's no more hiding behind bulky sweaters and ...
How Do I Perform a Stagger Stance Shoulder Press with Alternating Arms?
How Should I Do a Push-Up?
How Should I Do a Push-Up?
Transform YOU: Neck Stretch
Transform YOU: Neck Stretch