Q

Types Of Exercise

How can I get in shape without getting a gym membership?

• You can get into shape with a Virtual HFPN Coach through Virtual personal training here on sharecare. I have been told by sharecare that the Virtual Personal Training packages will be available in early 2011.
  • A , Fitness, answered
    You have no excuses. Walk 30 minutes a day, go to a stadium and walk stairs. Or get a DVD-they are very affordable and most of mine use no equipment and I have them for every single fitness level. You can do them in the comfort of your own home and the expense is minimal!
  • A , Administration, answered
    There are some great products out on the market right now that you can use to at home to help you with your workout program while exercising at home. The TRX Suspension Training System from Fitness Anywhere is trending to be one of the top fitness trends for 2011. This piece of equipment can be hocked up to the back of any door in your house (with optional door attachment) with exercises that can be combined to fit every fitness level. The TRX allows you to use your own body weight to work just about every muscle group in the body and can help improve strength, flexibility, cardio-respiratory fitness, balance, and burn major calories. Some other low cost, staple products that I recommend to my in-home clients would be a stability ball, foam roller, and set of free weights or kettlebells (optional). These products usually don't cost that much money and can be used in small spaces to provide a great workout.

Also, try walking, running, cycling, hiking, etc. to help improve your cardio-respiratory system. Playing sports is also a fantastic way to stay in shape. These activities can be performed outdoors in most cases and offer up great enjoyment for the user. Ultimately, stick with what makes you feel good!

Sometimes, it can be challenging to come up with the right combination of exercises to meet your goals. If this is the case, an HFPN Coach is capable of helping you pick which routines are right for you and can help you with motivating tips to stick to a reasonable workout schedule. Stay tuned to Sharecare.com for the option to work with an HFPN Coach through virtual coaching sessions in the very near future.
  • Getting in shape without joining a gym is EASY! There are so many small things you can do that will actually contribute to you getting a healthier body.  For example, walking around your neighborhood for at least 30 minutes a few times a week will provide you with a great cardio workout.  Also, parking further away from places so that you can walk more each day is also helpful.  Using the steps more instead of the elevator really works out the leg muscles.  Another form of exercise that has become quite popular is dancing.  But you don't even have to join a dance class.   All you have to do is turn on your favorite radio station and just start moving within the privacy of your own home.  You will be giving your body a full workout. Add these methods into your life and you will definitely see and feel a difference. 
    1 person found this helpful.
  • There is really no need for a gym membership.  Most people have a gym membership for the social interaction or simply to just get out of the house.  However there are so many things you can do at home or even outside and still get great benefits without having that expensive gym membership.  For a lot of people what you pay in a gym membership per year you can workout from home for less.  Buying simple equipment like stability ball, tubing, dvd's or adjustable dumbbells will give you everything you need to see great results.  Many of my clients have asked me what I do for my workouts or do I just spend all day at the gym.  I tell them I have a stability ball, tubing, adjustable dumbbells and a TRX suspension trainer in my home.  This gives me the ability to workout anytime I want and doesn't take up a lot of space.  You can even think of your backyard of park as your workout gym as well.  There are so many things you can do with your own body weight to help you get into shape like lunges, push-ups, running, biking or even swimming.  Your options are endless you just have to Move It and Lose it.
  • A , Fitness, answered
    There are many forms of exercise that can be done outside a gym.  From the very basics of walking, jogging or biking outdoors to the more creative at-home or destination workouts.  You can pick up handheld weights or resistance bands fairly cheap and try an at-home strengthening routine or a little dancing in your living room for cardio.  On nice days hit a park. A bench seat is a great place for push ups and the monkey bars will take you back to when you were a kid.  At barre3 we created an online program and app just for those who don’t have time to go to the gym or make it to one of our studios. Times range from 10 minutes to an hour, showing our clients that you don’t have to have a full block of time or fancy equipment to get a great workout in.
  • You don't need a gym membership to get in shape.  Stay tuned to Sharecare, you'll be able to virtually train with HFPN coaches in the near future.

For your cardio exercise, the easiest answer is to go for a walk in your neighborhood.  Jogging, running and biking are also good cardio exercises.  If you like to dance, put on some good tunes and dance in your living room.  Jump ropes are good for interval training.  In my house, the mini rebounder is always open to encourage jumping. (Check your home owner's insurance before putting a full size one in your backyard though).

For resistance training, you don't need lots of fancy machines or even a room full of free weights.  I love the TRX suspension trainer from Fitness Anywhere.  It lets you train just using your body weight.  An optional door anchor lets you set it up in the house, but you can also take your TRX to the park to work out.  I also like resistance bands by Bodylastics.  They come with handles, ankle straps and a door anchor as well as a variety of strengths of the band.  The beauty of this system is that you clip on various bands to one set of handles/straps to add/remove resistance.  It's easy to setup and again, like the TRX, very portable.
  • A , Fitness, answered
    Walking is a great form of exercise and so "underutilized" as a form of getting in shape. I recommend walking  3-5x a week for 30 minutes, the first 5-10 minutes walk at a comfortable pace. The next 20 minutes increase your pace. Talk as you walk, so invite a friend, parnter or child and talk as you walk. You should never walk at a pace that leaves you breathless, talking helps to pass the time. After a couple of weeks of walking 3-5x a week you will start to feel and see the benefits in  your body, mind and soul. Give it a try and make sure you wear shoes that provide adequate support. Have Fun!
    1 person found this helpful.
  • Getting in shape definitely does not require having a gym membership. There are plenty of outdoor hobbies and activities you can participate in, such as running, cycling, rollerblading, kayaking, etc. Outdoor boot camps are also popular during the summer and worth looking into.

1 person found this helpful.
  • Possibilites are endless!!! To list a few, walking at least 30 mins a day in your neighborhood or at work, depending on your local cabel provider there are many free workout programs available to you right on your cabel box that very from weight and resistance training, dancing, yoga and pilates... yes I said FREE ! and the very best one yet is the Virtual personal training offered right here at Sharecare ( coming February 2011). If you need that extra motivation there are personal trainers that do IN HOME training were they come to you and bring all the equipment you need to help you reach your fitness goals.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Why should I plan my exercise routine?