What are the pros and cons of getting my tubes tied?

The up side? No worries about unplanned pregnancies, no hormonal changes, no incisions, no general anesthesia and no further need for contraception. The major down side to any permanent sterilization? It's PERMANENT. That means you have to be completely, absolutely, totally 100% sure that pregnancy is not desired.

That seems obvious, but a lot of women who think they are sure, change their mind. Studies have shown that the 3-25% of women regret tubal ligation. The most common reason is a change in marital status, particularly in young women. While post-sterilization pregnancy is possible utilizing in vitro fertilization techniques, the expense is prohibitive for many and relatively few women pursue it.

While the new methods of sterilization are much safer and easier than they used to be, there are still small risks and a procedure involved.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

Are fallopian tubes tied during tubal ligation?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
While the term "tubal ligation" or "getting your tubes tied" are commonly used phrases, the more app...
What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...
How can I become pregnant if I have had tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
If you have had tubal ligation but want to become pregnant, the two options available are in vitro f...
What are some procedures for tubal sterilization?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Several different procedures are available for tubal sterilization. All are intended to be permanent...