What are the pros and cons of getting my tubes tied?

The up side? No worries about unplanned pregnancies, no hormonal changes, no incisions, no general anesthesia and no further need for contraception. The major down side to any permanent sterilization? It's PERMANENT. That means you have to be completely, absolutely, totally 100% sure that pregnancy is not desired.

That seems obvious, but a lot of women who think they are sure, change their mind. Studies have shown that the 3-25% of women regret tubal ligation. The most common reason is a change in marital status, particularly in young women. While post-sterilization pregnancy is possible utilizing in vitro fertilization techniques, the expense is prohibitive for many and relatively few women pursue it.

While the new methods of sterilization are much safer and easier than they used to be, there are still small risks and a procedure involved.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

What factors affect the success of a tubal ligation reversal surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The success of the surgical reconstruction of the fallopian tubes depends on how the tubes were ...
Can tubal sterilization be reversed?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Many women undergo tubal ligation as a form of permanent sterilization during their reproductive yea...
What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...
Did having my tubes tied steal my libido?
Barring any complications from surgery, tubal ligation should not diminish your sex drive. In this v...