How can I become pregnant if I have had tubal ligation?

If you have had tubal ligation but want to become pregnant, the two options available are in vitro fertilization (IVF) and a tubal reversal procedure.

IVF involves stimulating your ovaries with medication and using a needle to obtain the eggs from your ovaries. These can be fertilized with your partner’s sperm in the laboratory (in vitro), and the resulting embryo(s) can be transferred back into your uterus: bypassing your tubes altogether.

The cost of both procedures will vary according to insurance coverage, although on average IVF may be less expensive, since it doesn’t require hospitalization and as much care in the operating room. However, costs will vary according to practice location, hospital and health insurance coverage. Both procedures have a good chance for success but, of course, will vary according to a person’s age and particular health issues. The best option is to schedule a consultation with a specialist in reproductive endocrinology who can discuss both IVF and tubal reversal.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...
More Answers
Are fallopian tubes tied during tubal ligation?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
While the term "tubal ligation" or "getting your tubes tied" are commonly used phrases, the more app...
More Answers
Can tubal sterilization be reversed?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Tubal sterilization is intended to be permanent, however, it can be reversed.
More Answers
How much does it cost to reverse a tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The cost of a tubal reversal procedure varies according to practice location, hospital, and health i...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.