Can tubal sterilization be reversed?

Many women undergo tubal ligation as a form of permanent sterilization during their reproductive years. Unfortunately, social situations may change, leading to a desire to have the procedure reversed to allow for more children. This delicate form of surgery is sometimes performed through a small incision in the lower abdomen, other times using a laparoscope. The choice of which technique to use depends on the way in which the tubes were ligated. Regardless, couples who pursue this option for pregnancy enjoy pregnancy rates of 60 to 75 percent. In some cases where reversal is not possible, couples may be referred to an in vitro fertilization program, as fallopian tubes are bypassed by the procedure.

Tubal sterilization is intended to be permanent, however, it can be reversed.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...
How much does it cost to reverse a tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The cost of a tubal reversal procedure varies according to practice location, hospital, and health i...
What are the pros and cons of getting my tubes tied?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
The up side? No worries about unplanned pregnancies, no hormonal changes, no incisions, no general a...
How can I become pregnant if I have had tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
If you have had tubal ligation but want to become pregnant, the two options available are in vitro f...