Do I have a higher risk of other brain problems with a TBI?

There are studies showing  how some long-term problems might develop after a TBI. These problems include Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and post-traumatic dementia. While Parkinson’s disease after a TBI is rare, it has been shown to occur.

Parkinson’s disease  is a chronic, progressive disease with symptoms such as tremor, rigidity, slow movement or an inability to move, and shuffling walk. Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive form of dementia that’s associated with loss of memory and cognitive function. Some studies link Alzheimer’s disease with a head injury in early adulthood. Post-traumatic dementia is associated with severe TBI that results in coma.

Continue Learning about Traumatic Brain Injuries Complications

Why did my doctor say TBI affected the left side of my brain?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The left hemisphere of your brain deals with speaking, language, and analyzing all the day-to-day in...
Why do I feel fatigued with traumatic brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Fatigue is a common symptom of traumatic brain injury, both in the acute stages of recovery up to 10...
Why do I feel as if my personality changed with the TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Some aspects of your personality did change with traumatic brain injury (TBI). When parts of the bra...
Why am I so clumsy after a traumatic brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Because traumatic brain injury damages parts of the brain, TBI can impair the functions the brain re...